Monday, June 1, 2009

Thoughts on The Tonght Show with Conan and Upcoming Films






So, I watched the premier of The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien tonight, and I was very pleased with the transition that he has made to the new 11:30 P.M. slot. I've been a fan of Conans for a while--partially because of of my insomnia--but I have always felt, at times, that he can be a tad too stupid and over dramatic. I do believe that his move to prime time late night will quell a lot of his superfluous comedy. However, above all, I am extremely happy that Jay Leno is finally off of the air. There are few people that I absolutely abhor; he is one of them. Plus, I venerate the comic genius of Dave Letterman, and he will always be number one in my book. With that said, I'm truly glad that Late Night Television is finally filled with comedians that, I believe, are extremely talented: Letterman, O'Brien, Kimmel and Furgueson.

On a different note, words cannot express how fucking psyched out of my mind I am for The Hangover: the new movie opening this Friday--I've been told repeatedly that my excitement is not good. For all those out there shaking their heads, I have reasons why, apart from the reviews, I believe that it is going to be a kick-ass movie.
First of all, there is a great cast: Justin Bartha, Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, and Zach Galifianakis. I consider them all pretty solid supporting-cast actors who have always paid their dues; however, I believe that they have all finally found a better comic vechile: The Hangover. In fact, I am most excited about Ed Helms who is so damn funny on both The Daily Show and The Office, and, most of the time, I can just look at him and laugh. Did also I mention the slew of cameo's including one from, none other than, Mike Tyson? Additionally, the movie, although set in Las Vegas, does not try to capture the late-night debauchery of the four eternal frat boys; instead, it focuses on the repercussions that emerge during the day; a perspective of Vegas that is rarely shown. The intelligent plot-line, a pseudo detective noir, traces the location of the Groom, who is missing hours before his own wedding--a device that sounds quite interesting.
Lets just say I'm so pumped, and look forward to an actual review of the movie, not just an over-excited advertisement.



No comments:

Post a Comment